At 11:44 p.m. on Wednesday, fire erupted from a malfunctioning microwave in a room at the Candlewood Suites hotel in the 4200 block of Philadelphia Road, the fire marshal reported.
Sprinklers went off in the vicinity of the fire—which started in the kitchenette area inside the hotel room—and 15 firefighters from Abingdon, Joppa-Magnolia and Aberdeen fire companies responded, bringing the fire under control within one minute, according to the report.
There were no injuries as a result of the fire, the report said.
The blaze caused $30,000 in structural damage and $20,000 worth of items in the room were also lost, according to the report.
Hotel patrons were being assisted by neighboring hotels, the fire marshal said.
As of Thursday morning, the "hotel remains closed for extensive cleanup," according to the fire marshal.