Four adults and a child were displaced after flames spread through their Aberdeen home Saturday night, the Maryland State Fire Marshal said.
Nobody was injured in the Dec. 29 blaze on the unit block of Defense Drive, according to the fire marshal's report.
A child discovered that an unattended candle had caused a fire in his bedroom just before 11 p.m. Saturday and told his grandmother, the fire marshal said.
According to the fire marshal, the child's parents, who also lived in the residence, were not home at the time of the fire, which was reported at 10:53 p.m.
The grandmother and her brother tried to fan the flames with a blanket, but the fire and smoke grew so they all left the house and alerted a neighbor who called 911, the report stated.
It took three fire companies 20 minutes to bring the blaze under control, according to the fire marshal. Crews responding included the Aberdeen Fire Department, Susquehanna Hose Company and Aberdeen Proving Ground Fire and Emergency Services.
The fire marshal said there was $100,000 in structural damage and $25,000 in damage to the contents of the Aberdeen duplex.