Watch the Feb. 2 concert at Havre de Grace High School.
Tuesday, February 5, 2013
Monday, February 4, 2013
Vote on the team that you think is the best in the city’s history.
Choose the Baltimore football team you think was the best.
Monday, January 28, 2013
Read notes from the Harford County Board of Education's Jan. 28 meeting.
Thursday, January 24, 2013
Bills in the House of Delegates and Senate would create a new standard where all dog owners are presumed liable for dog attacks, regardless of the breed of the animal.
Legislation overriding a Maryland Court of Appeals ruling that made landlords liable for pit bull attacks, and put owners at risk of being evicted or having to give up their dogs, will be heard Wednesday by the House Judiciary Committee. Identical House and Senate bills seek to create a new standard where all dog owners in civil action cases, regardless of the dog’s breed, are presumed liable for attacks unless owners can prove they did everything possible to avoid the attack, said Sen. Brian Frosh, sponsor of the Senate bill. It would also reverse the strict liability on landlords. “The interest groups: pet owners, landlords, and animal rights groups are pleased with it,” said Frosh, a Montgomery County Democrat who is also chairman of …
Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Harford County is awaiting its first significant snowfall of 2013.
Harford County residents could be in for their first big snowfall of 2013 this weekend. Forecasts vary, but a storm projected to reach the Baltimore metro area on Friday could dump a few inches of powder just in time for the weekend. Weather.com forecasts about 1-to-3 inches of snow for the area, depending upon the forecast models. Weather.gov forecasts a 60 percent chance of snow on Friday, and a 40 percent chance on Friday night. The projected high for Friday is 26 degrees, with a low of 17 degrees. There's also a 50 percent chance of snow Wednesday night into Thursday morning, according to Weather.gov. A weather outlook from the National Weather Service states "a clipper system may produce light snowfall accumulations" Wednesday night…
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Despite playing in New England, fans came in big numbers to watch Ravens earn the franchise's second Super Bowl trip. The head coach and players noticed.
John Harbaugh smiled plenty throughout Monday's news conference. Considering his team is headed to the Super Bowl a week from Sunday, that's no surprise. But the Ravens coach really beamed when the conversation turned to Baltimore's fans. Harbaugh and his team were both delighted at the large number of Baltimore fans that went up to New England and watched the Ravens beat the Patriots, 28-13, in last Sunday's AFC title game. "We might have had one-eighth of the crowd, which is really a high number for a visiting AFC Championship game. That speaks so much about our fans," Harbaugh said when talking to the media Monday in Owings Mills. "For all of those people to make that trip up there at this time of year to support their Ravens is just—…
Monday, January 21, 2013
After the Newtown, CT school shooting, Maryland legislators are looking at a number of ways to make schools safer.
According to Annapolis Patch, delegates from Anne Arundel County are introducing legislation on Tuesday, Jan. 22 in hopes of increasing security and mental health services at public schools across the state. The proposed bill would also pay for an armed resource officer at each school. "If you really understand public schools in Maryland, you know this: They are becoming increasingly more difficult for classroom teachers because discipline is lacking at home and teachers are spending an increasing amount of time maintaining discipline in the classroom," said Del. Nic Kipke (R-Pasadena). In Montgomery County, Councilman Craig Rice (D-Dist. 2) of Germantown, a vocal advocate of school resource officers stationed in schools, told a room full …
Sunday, January 20, 2013
Patch rounds up the top weird news headlines of the week in Maryland.
Burglar Steals ‘Orgazmo’ Incense from Adult Gift Store A thief broke into an adult gift store in Owings Mills and stole 30 packages of incense. Homeless Man 'Sleepy' Allegedly Found Crashing in Parkville Home A homeless man, which a police report notes is nicknamed "Sleepy," was arrested after a property manager allegedly discovered him sleeping on the floor of a Parkville residence. Twitter Battle Between Lesbian, Transgender Advocates Leads to Court Order A Twitter message about spitting led Towson lawyer and lesbian advocate Cathy Brennan to file for a peace order against a transgender advocate. Urn Stolen from Columbia Residence: Howard County Crime Reports An urn containing ashes was stolen from a hallway closet from a residence in…
Friday, January 18, 2013
Post a patriotic photo from your Patch using the hashtag #PatchInauguration on Instagram.
We're starting something new here at Patch, borrowing an idea from social media networks. We're calling it the Weekend PatchTag Project. It's simple. Using your Instagram account, post a photo of patriotism in your community—you know, getting into the spirit of a presidential inauguration and Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Tag it with #PatchInauguration and it'll appear in our grid of images on every Patch site in Maryland. It's your chance to show off how patriotic your community is to the rest of the state. Now get to it! Oh, and while you're at it, what's your Instagram handle? Post it in a comment below, and let us know what Patch you live in, and we'll follow you!
Thursday, December 27, 2012
Essex-Middle River editor Tyler Waldman was hospitalized after a November crash in Towson. He went back to work Thursday.